Monitor any type of server (web, mail, database servers etc.)
Flexible server monitoring through the use of 1,800+ smart checks
Easy-to-use configuration, auto-discovery and network mapping
Native agents for Windows, Linux and many more operating systems
Agentless monitoring with SNMP and TCP/UDP (FTP, LDAP, IMAP etc.)
API-based checks based on HTTP/XML, SSH or TELNET
Measurement intervals as short as 1 second
Some of the vendors we support
Reasons to choose Checkmk as your server monitoring tool
Compatible with almost anything
Checkmk supports the monitoring of almost every operating system: Linux, Windows, macOS, but also many other OS like BSD.
Ultra-scalable & Flexible
One Checkmk instance can monitor thousands of servers and can easily scale horizontally with our distributed monitoring setup.
Checkmk intelligently discovers which metrics to monitor on your server without needing any additional configuration.
It's fast to get started
Checkmk enables you to go from zero to monitoring in less than 15 minutes. Installation is super easy and fast!
An all-in-one server monitoring software
Your organization uses multiple types of servers. It is therefore important to use a server monitoring software that can help you can get started with all of your server monitoring at once.
Checkmk provides this flexibility through its large collection of 1,800+ plug-ins. Here are some examples of server types which can be monitored with Checkmk:
- Mail server monitoring — Make sure your mail servers function reliably by using one of our generic POP3, IMAP or SMTP checks. Get detailed information on your mail application with our plug-ins for MS Exchange, Postfix, qmail and more.
- Web server monitoring — Ensure minimal downtime for your web servers by getting alerts from our active HTTP, FTP and SSL checks. Monitor performance metrics of your Apache and Nginx web servers.
- Database server monitoring — Checkmk supports monitoring of all major databases: MySQL/MariaDB, Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MongoDB, IBM DB2, IBM Informix, SAP HANA, Microsoft Azure SQL and Amazon Web Services RDS.
- Application server monitoring — Checkmk helps monitor almost all Java applications servers (e.g. JBoss, Oracle WebLogic, Apache Tomcat, IBM WebSphere)
- FTP server monitoring — Track the availability and response times of your FTP server, and monitor of your servers' CPU load, capacity, memory utilization, network latency and packet loss.
Linux server monitoring
Get an accurate overview of your Linux servers' health and performance. We support the following Linux OS: Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, CentOS, openSUSE, SLES and other derivatives, as well as all other DEB-based distributions.
Benefits of Linux server monitoring with Checkmk:
- Minimal footprint (the agent requires little CPU, RAM or hard drive space)
- Full transparency (only a shell script is executed in which you can see all commands)
- Complete security (the agent permits no access from the network whatsoever)
Windows server monitoring
Monitor your Windows servers and gain insights into critical metrics such as CPU, memory, disk usage, services, processes, network interfaces, filesystems and more. Quickly identify and resolve any performance or availability issues.
Benefits of Windows server monitoring with Checkmk:
- Integrated log management for Windows Event Log
- Easily integrate monitoring for MS Exchange, Active Directory, MS SQL and Skype
- Monitor the latest Windows OS and older versions (Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 etc.)
- Use a simple executable file with no DLL dependencies (no risk of malicious code injection as the agent doesn't read data from the network)
Virtual server monitoring
Monitor the health and availability of your virtualized server environment. Checkmk supports the real-time monitoring of all major virtualization platforms, such as VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V and associated virtual machines.
Virtual server monitoring is already integrated in Checkmk, so that your virtual machines can be monitored with almost no additional set-up. Checkmk itself can also be run on a virtual server infrastructure within the virtual appliance.
Centralized Asset Management
The Checkmk hardware & software inventory is built to automatically discover and manage your hardware & software asset information on all servers and workstations being monitored.
Easily identify hosts with vulnerable and outdated software versions, so that you can act to secure your IT. Checkmk also stores the history of the inventory of a server and helps you track changes in your environment, e.g. a BIOS update, RAM upgrade.
Integrate Checkmk with your Configuration Management Database (CMDB) to always have an up-to-date overview of your IT.
The whole Checkmk environment has a very mature, stable foundation of supported checks and performance counters. Yet it grows almost on a daily basis.
Support for new systems is being implemented very often and if you are willing to request it yourself, you can have it included in the core distribution in very little time. This agility really has no match among the larger competitors.
Trusted by global brands and local organizations worldwide
Try it yourself
Talk to us
Learn more about checkmk
Why do I need server monitoring?
IT monitoring tools, such as Checkmk, allow IT admins to detect and diagnose any issues which may threaten a server's performance or stability.
This early warning system permits corrective actions to be taken before you experience an outage or performance bottlenecks in your IT.
Can I use the Checkmk Enterprise - Standard Edition to monitor multiple servers?
Yes. The Checkmk Enterprise - Standard Edition has basically no limit in how many servers you can monitor. And the pricing is not based on the number of servers you monitor. Rather the total number of monitored services is used to determine your subscription size. Find out more about our pricing.
What is a 'check'?
Checks are performed by to the monitoring system to 'check' the state of a host or a service on a host. Checks use plug-ins to monitor specific metrics or states of a host (e.g. server, switch, storage) or application.
Can I keep my configuration, if I'm upgrading from the Enterprise/Managed Services demo version to the full version?
Yes, you can safely upgrade from the demo to the full version any time, without losing your previous configuration setup. The demo version is identical to the full version, except for the fact that about 5% of the check results randomly get the "WARN" state.
Note: The Checkmk Raw Edition is not the demo version. The Checkmk Raw Edition is a free, fully-functional monitoring solution.